Linking Microbiome, Covid 19 & Depression with Dr. Mahmoud Ghannoum
In this episode, Dr. Stephanie and Dr. Mahmoud Ghannoum will discuss the link between sleep, exercise, and your microbiome. First of all, you’ll find out what your microbiome actually is and why it’s so crucial for your overall health. They’ll explore the various types of bacteria found in your gut, including beneficial and opportunistic fungi. You’ll learn how the pandemic is influencing your gut health, the role of the ACE2 receptor in relation to immune system changes, and how the Covid stress syndrome is playing a role in your mental health. The two will teach you how to build a diet that nourishes your microbiome and decreases inflammation. You’ll discover the importance of Biofilm and what that is, and dive into the positive effects of exercise on depression, your microbiome, and inflammation. Finally, Dr. Stephanie and Dr. Ghannoum will talk about sleep deprivation’s harmful effects on your physical and mental health, and how you can supplement your way to a stellar microbiome.
- 8:40 Introduction
- 9:53 Mahmoud’s Origin Story
- 15:00 What Is The Microbiome?
- 18:25 Beneficial And Opportunistic Fungi
- 20:00 How Fungi And Bacteria Work Together
- 22:00 Covid and The Gut Health
- 26:10 ACE2 Receptor And Changes In The Immune System
- 26:22 Mental Health and Covid Stress Syndrome
- 32:50 Dietary Effects On Microbiome
- 33:20 Inflammation
- 36:10 What is a Biofilm?
- 45:10 Exercise Effects On Depression, Microbiome and Inflammation
- 53:40 Sleep Deprivation
- 1:02:10 Supplementation
- 1:10:30 Connecting With Mahmoud