In this week’s episode, we welcome Layne Norton, founder of BIOLAYNE. He has a Bachelors in Neuroscience, and a PHD in Nutritional Sciences, so we had a lot to cover here on the Better Show. We revisit the age old discussion of Calories in & Calories out, along with Metabolic Adaptation. We debunk some myths about protein intake and it’s effect on key organs in the human body. We also chat about the behavioral side of fat loss, and accountability when it comes to dieting, and tracking your progress but alas, we are all human. We round out the podcast with Layne’s opinion on women fearing body building will make them look too muscular, and the lifestyle shift needed for those who want to make a fundamental change in regards to their health.
- 0:00 Introduction
- 1:30 What is a Calorie?
- 6:30 Calories in/Calories Out
- 16:30 Metabolic Adaptation
- 27:30 Humans are Not Robots
- 31:00 Other Measures of Health Progress
- 37:00 Would you hire an Obese Fitness Trainer?
- 42:00 Muscle Protein Synthesis
- 49:00 Excess Protein’s Impact on Kidneys
- 54:00 mTOR
- 1:00:00 Layne’s Big 6
- 1:07:00 Behavioral Change for Success
- 1:12:00 Choosing the Diet that’s Best for You
- 1:19:00 Women Avoiding Muscle Building
- 1:28:00 The Rewards of Showing Up
- 1:32:00 Building A Body – Hypertrophy
- 1:42:00 Conclusion
Layne Norton Links:
Carbon Diet Coach app